866-630-2389

Free Consultation

Hablamos Español • Credit Cards Accepted
Visa | MasterCard | American Express | Discover Network

Roberts Law Group PLLC

North Carolina Criminal Defense Attorneys

North Carolina Criminal Defense Law Blog

Federal charges never filed, man gets back money from seizure

It's taken several months, but a business owner in Fairmont, North Carolina, will finally get his $107,702.66 that was seized by police in July 2014. The man was also seeking to be reimbursed $20,000 in legal and accountant fees.

The man owns L&M convenience store in Fairmont. The crime in which he was accused was that he intentionally broke up his business deposits so that they would be under the $10,000 threshold where they have to be reported to the government. The civil forfeiture policy allowed the police to seize the man's life savings. The business owner never faced any charges, but it was up to him to prove that there was no crime committed in order for him to get his money back.

20-year federal prison sentence in child porn case

A 60-year-old man from Beaulaville, North Carolina, has been sentenced to a federal prison term of 20 years. He pleaded guilty to receiving child porn in October 2015. The U.S. District judge who sentenced the man took into consideration the fact that he had molested family members, both of whom were young.

Onslow County deputies found over 1,000 videos depicting child porn and 2,415 photos of child porn on the man's storage devices and computer.

Change in law could ban sex offenders from state fair

Last year, two arrests were made of individuals at the North Carolina State Fair who were convicted sex offenders. Officials with the state's Agriculture Department want to see a law passed that will keep registered sex offenders from attending the fair.

A policy analyst brought up the issue before a legislative agriculture study committee. While she said that fair security is conducted aggressively by the sheriff of Wake County, North Carolina, she wants legislators to do more. Last year, one arrest was made after a convicted sex offender attempted to get into an children's ride area by posing as a ride inspector with the state. The other arrest was a man from Raleigh, North Carolina, who was charged with operating a drone over the fair.

Federal prison sentence for man convicted of fraud, other crimes

An investment scheme that preyed on the religious beliefs of its victims has resulted in a 43-year-old man from Raleigh being sentenced to over 26 years in federal prison.

According to prosecutors, the man was part of an investment scheme that took over $2 million from investors. Returns of 100 percent within a month were sometimes promised to the investor. Another man, also from Raleigh, has not been arrested yet, but prosecutors believe he was involved in the scheme, too.

Jailer faces sex crime charges after prisoner alleges assault

A 55-year-old jailer at the Lee County Jail has been charged with sexually assaulting a female prisoner. The alleged crime occurred on Sept. 16, 2015, when the woman was being transported to Raleigh, North Carolina, to the N.C. Correctional Institute for Women.

The charges the man is facing are a sex offense involving someone having custody of a victim and second-degree sex offense. According to the applications for search warrants, they alleged that the man forced her to perform oral sex and photographed her exposed breasts with her cellphone. She said that she was familiar with the man because of previous transports with him.

Man arrested on fugutive sexual assault warrant

Raleigh police contacted a 26-year-old man from Wilson, North Carolina, when they responded to the scene of a stabbing. According to police, the man allegedly gave several false names and dates of birth. He also allegedly refused to get out of his car.

The police arrested the man for driving with a revoked license and resisting a public officer. In addition, a fugitive warrant out of Texas was found. That warrant was for sexual assault. According to Texas police, the man had reportedly driven a woman home who was intoxicated and then forced her to have sex with him.

Man facing federal human trafficking charges

A 46-year-old man has been charged with money laundering and interstate kidnapping. He has a court date in January in Raleigh, North Carolina, and is currently being held in federal custody.

Last year, a 34-year-old woman sent an email to her husband, from whom she is estranged. She wanted money and he was concerned. He contacted law enforcement, who traced the email to the 46-year-old man. He uses a warehouse on Mack-Todd Road in Zebulon, North Carolina, to operate his business.

Authorities hunt for sex offenders who didn't register

About a half hour's drive from Raleigh, North Carolina, you'll find Smithfield. The town is located in Johnston County. Recently, Johnston County sheriff's deputies, as well as state and federal agents, have been locating wanted individuals. This included U.S. marshals and probation officers.

A local news station was invited to accompany authorities as they attempted to locate sex offenders who did not register as required and individuals with active warrants. Over 200 sex offenders were checked who live in Johnston County to make sure the addresses given on registration were actually where they were living.

2 men convicted of conspiracy, kidnapping

A man who returned from the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight in Las Vegas in May got a surprise when he returned home and it wasn't a good one. Two men, one from Durham and one from Knightdale, allegedly broke into the man's home and waited for his return. They then badly beat the man and transported him to a storage unit. When authorities found the man on a dirt road in Nash County, he had severe injuries, as well as duct tape on his neck and face. Ligature marks were also present on his ankles and wrists.

The two men were convicted on the charges of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and kidnapping. One of the men also was conviction of a weapons charge.

Registered sex offender indicted for obstructing justice

A 39-year-old registered sex offender was indicted by a grand jury last month for obstructing justice. The incident that resulted in the charge actually occurred in June at Fuquay-Varina Elementary School.

The man, who reportedly lives in a Raleigh, North Carolina, apartment complex, gave investigators a letter from a school principal that allegedly gave the man permission to be at the school on June 10. The letter, however, was forged and was given to investigators in the hope that he wouldn't be arrested.

Follow us on Twitter