New FBI Rape Definition Includes Male VictimsBy robertslaw, In Sex Crimes, 0 Comments
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has changed its definition of rape to include male victims. The definition, currently used to report crime statistics in the Uniform Crime Report, shows an important change to recognize male victims.
Advocates for victims of sexual abuse and rape say that the numbers reported by the Uniform Crime Report have previously underreported the number of rapes in this country by not including men as victims. The change reverses an 85-year-old definition of sex crime.
According to the USA Today, the current definition of rape is the “carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.” The new definition is any penetration of another person without the victim’s consent. The change will also include rapes where their isn’t bodily penetration, but instead object penetration.
The change is “long overdue,” according to Attorney General Eric Holder. It will provide greater insight into the number of victims who are abused by same-sex attackers as was the allegedly case with Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky. Sandusky allegedly engaged in assaults and sex crimes with 10 men and boys in his tenure as assistant football coach.
Source: USA Today, “FBI changes definition of rape to include men as victims,” Kevin Johnson, 1/6/2012
- Part I: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Man Attempted To Rape Woman After Bumping Bike Tire With SUV
- Statutory Rape Laws Need Overhaul Nationwide
- Man ID’d For Rape While Walking Down The Street In Carrboro
- DNA Evidence Leads To Arrests In 1991 Rape Case
- Does A Statutory Rape Charge Mean Prison Time?
- Late Night Encounter Ends In Rape, Kidnapping Charges
- What’s At Stake In A Second-Degree Rape Charge?
- What Is Statutory Rape In North Carolina?
- North Carolina Date Rape Charges
- Raleigh Man Charged With Statutory Rape Of A 15-Year-Old
- Northern Guilford Middle School Teacher Charged For The Alleged Rape Of A Student Under 15
- Charlotte Limo Driver Charged For Alleged Rape And Assault Of Passenger
- High School Teacher From Greensboro Charged With Alleged Rape Of 17-Year-Old Student
- Part II: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Charlotte Man Accused Of Stat Rape, Taking Indecent Liberties
- Duke Lacrosse Players On The Offensive After False Rape Charges