Man ID’d For Rape While Walking Down The Street In CarrboroBy robertslaw, In Sex Crimes, 0 Comments
Nineteen-year-old Alejandro Romero was charged with rape and burglary after a woman he allegedly sexually assaulted identified him while he was walking down South Greensboro Street in Carrboro. The woman notified police and Romero was arrested at a nearby Wendy’s.
The alleged sexual assault victim told police that she woke up to a stranger in her home on Friday morning. While she and her children were home, police say Romero walked in through an unlocked door and raped her.
Sexual Assault In North Carolina
A conviction for sexual assault can mean a prison sentence of up to 20 years, possibly longer depending on the specific circumstances of the crime and any past criminal history of the defendant. Even after being released from prison, an individual convicted of sexual assault will have to register with the North Carolina sex offender registry and can face additional punishment for failing to do so.
The length of time that an individual must remain on the sex offender registry is typically determined at sentencing. This time cannot be shortened unless the conviction is set aside, reversed or vacated or an unconditional pardon of the sex offense is granted.
A strong criminal defense strategy is important for anyone facing sexual assault charges. Often the accused is considered guilty by the public as soon as the victim’s story is told. But, as with anything , there are two sides to every story and an experienced sexual assault defense attorney can help tell yours.
Source: NewsObserver, “Carrboro man charged with rape and burglary,” September 10, 2012
- Part I: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- New FBI Rape Definition Includes Male Victims
- Statutory Rape Laws Need Overhaul Nationwide
- Man Attempted To Rape Woman After Bumping Bike Tire With SUV
- DNA Evidence Leads To Arrests In 1991 Rape Case
- Does A Statutory Rape Charge Mean Prison Time?
- Late Night Encounter Ends In Rape, Kidnapping Charges
- What’s At Stake In A Second-Degree Rape Charge?
- What Is Statutory Rape In North Carolina?
- North Carolina Date Rape Charges
- Raleigh Man Charged With Statutory Rape Of A 15-Year-Old
- Northern Guilford Middle School Teacher Charged For The Alleged Rape Of A Student Under 15
- Charlotte Limo Driver Charged For Alleged Rape And Assault Of Passenger
- High School Teacher From Greensboro Charged With Alleged Rape Of 17-Year-Old Student
- Part II: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Charlotte Man Accused Of Stat Rape, Taking Indecent Liberties
- Duke Lacrosse Players On The Offensive After False Rape Charges