Charlotte Man Accused Of Stat Rape, Taking Indecent LibertiesBy robertslaw, In Sex Crimes, 0 Comments
After meeting a 14-year-old girl at ImaginOn in Charlotte, a 40-year-old North Carolina man reportedly lured her to a nearby hotel room with promises of alcohol and is now facing statutory rape and indecent liberties charges, two counts of each sex offense. According to police, Stephen Ward also photographed his encounter with the teenage girl and admitted to snapping at least 15 photos that were sexual in nature of the young female.
Ward reportedly dropped the teen off near her home after her mother phoned. At some point, the mother learned of the activity and confronted Ward he claims. Shortly after that confrontation, he deleted the photos of the nude teen from his laptop’s hard drive.
Charlotte police apprehended Ward at La Casa Hotel after the child rape was reported. During the course of the investigation, Ward allegedly admitted to taking explicit photographs of other young women in addition to the 14-year-old involved in the statutory rape case.
It is likely, although it has not yet been reported, that Ward’s personal computer was seized during the search of his home and additional charges may be forthcoming after a forensic search of its contents. Ward had also noted that he had saved images to a flash drive; investigators likely searched for that as well while at his home.
Creating and distributing child pornography is a separate sex offense in North Carolina. It is also unknown whether Ward distributed any of the images that he took of the underage females.
Ward’s bond was set at $150,000; he was booked into the Mecklenburg County Jail.
Source: WCNC, “CMPD: Man raped, explicitly photographed girl, 14,” July 2, 2013
- New FBI Rape Definition Includes Male Victims
- Man Attempted To Rape Woman After Bumping Bike Tire With SUV
- Statutory Rape Laws Need Overhaul Nationwide
- Man ID’d For Rape While Walking Down The Street In Carrboro
- DNA Evidence Leads To Arrests In 1991 Rape Case
- Does A Statutory Rape Charge Mean Prison Time?
- Late Night Encounter Ends In Rape, Kidnapping Charges
- What’s At Stake In A Second-Degree Rape Charge?
- What Is Statutory Rape In North Carolina?
- North Carolina Date Rape Charges
- Raleigh Man Charged With Statutory Rape Of A 15-Year-Old
- Northern Guilford Middle School Teacher Charged For The Alleged Rape Of A Student Under 15
- Charlotte Limo Driver Charged For Alleged Rape And Assault Of Passenger
- High School Teacher From Greensboro Charged With Alleged Rape Of 17-Year-Old Student
- Part II: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Part I: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Duke Lacrosse Players On The Offensive After False Rape Charges