Does A Statutory Rape Charge Mean Prison Time?By robertslaw, In Sex Crimes, 0 Comments
The first thing that we need to get straight here is that a charge alone of statutory rape or other sex offense will not land you in prison. You may be in jail for a short time until bond is posted, but a charge is not the same as a conviction, so the easy answer is no, a statutory rape charge does not mean a prison sentence.
A stat rape conviction however is an entirely different story. If you are convicted of any of the four types of statutory rape in North Carolina, you will be punished as a felon and should expect to spend at least a few years in prison, depending on the details surrounding the sex crime and any prior criminal history you may already have.
First, second and third degree rape convictions are punished as Class B1 felonies. This level of felony sex offense requires an active prison sentence of at least 144 months. If you receive a maximum sentence you will face life in prison without parole.
A conviction for fourth degree statutory rape is a Class C felony. This level of felony sex offense requires a minimum of 44 months in prison.
An experienced criminal defense attorney may be your best sex crimes defense option if you are facing statutory rape charges. Asserting that you were wrong about the alleged victim’s age is not considered a valid defense to the crime and you can be convicted of stat rape.
Source: Super Lawyers, “How Long Will I Go To Jail For Statutory Rape In North Carolina?”
- Part I: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- New FBI Rape Definition Includes Male Victims
- Statutory Rape Laws Need Overhaul Nationwide
- Man ID’d For Rape While Walking Down The Street In Carrboro
- DNA Evidence Leads To Arrests In 1991 Rape Case
- Man Attempted To Rape Woman After Bumping Bike Tire With SUV
- Late Night Encounter Ends In Rape, Kidnapping Charges
- What’s At Stake In A Second-Degree Rape Charge?
- What Is Statutory Rape In North Carolina?
- North Carolina Date Rape Charges
- Raleigh Man Charged With Statutory Rape Of A 15-Year-Old
- Northern Guilford Middle School Teacher Charged For The Alleged Rape Of A Student Under 15
- Charlotte Limo Driver Charged For Alleged Rape And Assault Of Passenger
- High School Teacher From Greensboro Charged With Alleged Rape Of 17-Year-Old Student
- Part II: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Charlotte Man Accused Of Stat Rape, Taking Indecent Liberties
- Duke Lacrosse Players On The Offensive After False Rape Charges