Raleigh man charged with statutory rape of a 15-year-oldBy robertslaw, In Sex Crimes, 0 Comments
RALEIGH, N.C. – A 32-year-old man has been arrested on February 23, 2020 for allegedly raping a 15-year-old girl four months earlier in October 2019. He was charged with statutory rape and indecent liberties with a child.
According to a CBS news article, police used surveillance footage taken from a school and an apartment complex, as well as the victim’s recollection of her attacker’s face to identify the suspect. The prosecutor said that the victim had just gotten off the school bus when a stranger approached her. And as the young lady walked through the park, the man allegedly grabbed her and brought her to a secluded area, where she said she was raped. According to an ABC report, the prosecutor said that the victim took note of the man’s facial details, including a tattoo on his temple.
Raleigh police were able to locate and arrest the suspect near the campus of North Carolina State University. The suspect is now facing one count of statutory rape of a child, and two counts of indecent liberties with a child. It is believed that the suspect has a long record of convictions.
In North Carolina, when an adult is charged with statutory rape, the state does not have to prove that the accused had any bad intent. And since statutory rape involves victims under the age of consent (16), consensual sex as a defense is not valid. Penalties for statutory rape include prison sentence ranging from 3.5 years to life, depending on the seriousness of the offense, and the defendant’s criminal history. Learn more about statutory rape laws here.
All individuals accused of crimes are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
- New FBI Rape Definition Includes Male Victims
- Man Attempted To Rape Woman After Bumping Bike Tire With SUV
- Statutory Rape Laws Need Overhaul Nationwide
- Man ID’d For Rape While Walking Down The Street In Carrboro
- DNA Evidence Leads To Arrests In 1991 Rape Case
- Does A Statutory Rape Charge Mean Prison Time?
- Late Night Encounter Ends In Rape, Kidnapping Charges
- What’s At Stake In A Second-Degree Rape Charge?
- What Is Statutory Rape In North Carolina?
- North Carolina Date Rape Charges
- Part I: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Northern Guilford Middle School Teacher Charged For The Alleged Rape Of A Student Under 15
- Charlotte Limo Driver Charged For Alleged Rape And Assault Of Passenger
- High School Teacher From Greensboro Charged With Alleged Rape Of 17-Year-Old Student
- Part II: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Charlotte Man Accused Of Stat Rape, Taking Indecent Liberties
- Duke Lacrosse Players On The Offensive After False Rape Charges