High school teacher from Greensboro charged with alleged rape of 17-year-old studentBy robertslaw, In Sex Crimes, 0 Comments
GREENSBORO, N.C. – A 57-year-old teacher at Smith High School has been arrested by police for allegedly raping a 17-year-old female student. The victim claimed that she was forced to have sex against her will.
The suspect, Daniel Webster Smith Jr., an air force retiree, was the schools’ JROTC instructor. The victim told police that she and Mr. Smith had what she described as a father-daughter relationship. She alleged that she was raped by Mr. Smith during one of her visits to his office sometime in November 2019. She immediately reported the incident to school authorities, prompting an investigation. Mr. Smith claimed that it was consensual sex, a report said.
Mr. Smith is facing a lengthy active prison sentence if convicted of the following felony charges:
North Carolina imposes harsh penalties for these offenses including years in prison, fines, and being registered as a sex offender. Second-Degree Rape is a Class C felony offense. The minimum length of prison sentence depends on the defendant’s criminal history and aggravating or mitigating factors, and can range from 44 to 182 months, minimum.
All individuals accused of crimes are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
- New FBI Rape Definition Includes Male Victims
- Man Attempted To Rape Woman After Bumping Bike Tire With SUV
- Statutory Rape Laws Need Overhaul Nationwide
- Man ID’d For Rape While Walking Down The Street In Carrboro
- DNA Evidence Leads To Arrests In 1991 Rape Case
- Does A Statutory Rape Charge Mean Prison Time?
- Late Night Encounter Ends In Rape, Kidnapping Charges
- What’s At Stake In A Second-Degree Rape Charge?
- What Is Statutory Rape In North Carolina?
- North Carolina Date Rape Charges
- Raleigh Man Charged With Statutory Rape Of A 15-Year-Old
- Northern Guilford Middle School Teacher Charged For The Alleged Rape Of A Student Under 15
- Charlotte Limo Driver Charged For Alleged Rape And Assault Of Passenger
- Part I: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Part II: Rape Charges Dismissed In Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case
- Charlotte Man Accused Of Stat Rape, Taking Indecent Liberties
- Duke Lacrosse Players On The Offensive After False Rape Charges