Medicaid Fraud Defense Attorneys For Health Care Providers
As a health care professional, you’ve invested years in your career. You’ve spent decades in school, then worked your way up through the ranks, perhaps even starting your own practice and assembling a team to build a successful business. But a lifetime’s worth of work may all be at risk if you are accused and later convicted of Medicaid fraud.
Medicaid fraud remains a serious charge. For decades, this government health care program has been a major source of payment for health care providers. Medicaid may make up a significant portion of your revenue. A fraud investigation can thus jeopardize not only your business, but also your career, license and reputation. You could face civil monetary penalties and be barred from accepting Medicaid. What’s more, a criminal conviction for Medicaid fraud could lead to prison time, hefty fines and other harsh criminal penalties.
Allegations of Medicaid fraud can derail everything you’ve worked so hard to build. You have too much to lose – not just your career, your license and your reputation, but also potentially your freedoms and financial security. That’s why you need a defense attorney who understands this area of law.
If you’re under investigation or facing criminal charges related to Medicaid fraud, it’s critical to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. In North Carolina, you can count on our legal team at Roberts Law Group to fight for you each step of the way.
With convenient offices across the state, we handle health care fraud cases involving medical professionals of all stripes, including:
- Physical therapists
- Group practices
- And other health care professionals and organizations
We assist not only with defense, but also with compliance and ongoing legal guidance for health care providers.
Understanding Medicaid (And Who Enforces It)
Medicaid is a federally established government health insurance program for low-income individuals and families. Although established by federal law (specifically, Title XIX of the Social Security Act), it’s funded jointly at the federal, state and county levels. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services oversees the program at the federal government level. In North Carolina, the NC Department of Human Services Division of Medical Assistance administers the program.
Government authorities take allegations of Medicaid fraud very seriously. They aggressively investigate Medicaid fraud to protect taxpayer dollars. The North Carolina Department of Justice has a Medicaid Investigations Unit devoted solely to uncovering instances of fraud and abuse. Based in Raleigh, the unit handles investigations statewide.
What Is Medicaid Fraud?
Medicaid fraud can take many different forms. Examples of fraud amongst health care providers include:
- Using false credentials
- Submitting falsified billing records
- Charging for services that you did not provide
- Overbilling or double-billing
- Billing for supplies that were never provided
- Billing for medically unnecessary services or procedures
- Receiving kickbacks for patient referrals
- Providing fraudulent prescriptions, including for deceased patients (which may also involve controlled substance violations that could lead to criminal drug charges)
- Prescribing unnecessary medications
- Falsifying a medical diagnosis
- Using a “shell” company to bill for non-existent services
Any of these activities can lead to not only a civil audit and criminal investigation, but also a tarnished reputation and professional disciplinary proceedings. You don’t want this to happen to you.
Why Choose Us To Protect Your Career, Reputation And Freedom
Your choice of attorney can make a big difference in the outcome of your Medicaid fraud case. You need lawyers who are time-tested and trial-tested in the event that you end up before a jury.
We at Roberts Law Group are the right choice to help you fight allegations of Medicaid fraud. Why?
- Our team includes a former prosecutor with well-rounded experience on both sides of the courtroom.
- Together, our attorneys have decades of criminal defense experience in state and federal courts as well as administrative forums and professional disciplinary proceedings.
- We’re extremely familiar with white collar crimes that occur within the health care industry, including Medicaid fraud.
- We are skilled problem-solvers, respectful, dedicated and well-prepared to rise to any challenge.
- We have successfully defended clients against complex, high-stakes charges, winning numerous acquittals at trial.*
Under Investigation For Medicaid Fraud? Get Us Involved Now.
Rarely do Medicaid charges come out of the blue. Often they begin with a Medicaid audit that progresses to a criminal investigation.
How you respond at this early stage is critical. The sooner you get an attorney involved, the better.
We can help you navigate the process from the outset – at the audit or investigation stage – with an eye toward avoiding or mitigating charges. By getting involved early on, we have helped numerous clients get their charges reduced – or even avoid charges in the first place.*
Schedule Your Free Consultation With Our Skilled Legal Team
If you are a physician, dentist, nurse, pharmacist, therapist, counselor or any type of health care professional whose career is on the line due to allegations of Medicaid fraud, we can help you. We’re committed to fighting for the best possible outcome for your situation. Our attorneys are honest, thorough, respectful and aggressive.
*Each case is different and must be evaluated on its individual facts. We work hard to assess each case individually. Prior results do not guarantee any future outcome.